Debit Card Security Tips
We don't want you to become a victim.
Safety at the ATM
- Observe the are for anything suspicious before you approach the ATM. When in doubt, leave the area.
- Lock your vehicle when you leave it. Someone seeing you approach the ATM may enter your car behind your back and wait for your return.
- Have your Debit card or ATM card in hand as you approach the machine.
- Avoid reaching into your wallet or purse in front of the machine, Someone could snatch it while you are distracted.
- Avoid counting cash while at the ATM.
- When using a drive-up ATM, lock your doors and roll up all but the driver's window. Pull up close to the ATM so no one can walk on that side of your car.
- If using an ATM after dark, make sure the ATM is extremely well-lit and in a busy area. If someone else is using the machine, wait in your car with the doors unlocked until they are finished.
- When waiting in line at the ATM, stand at least six feet away from the person using the machine. Be considerate of their security and privacy concerns.
Protect your Debit Card and your account
Debit Cards can be used three ways- for purchases at most merchants that accept Visa cards, for purchases through electronic Point-of-Sale (POS) terminals, and at an ATM.
- Sign the back of your card as soon as it arrives.
- Remember your PIN. Don't write it on your card or keep it in your wallet. Without the PIN, a stolen card cannot be used to get cash at an ATM or be used to make purchases at electronic POS terminals through ATM networks.
- Carry your card separately from your wallet, such as in a zippered compartment or business card holder. this prevents loss of your card if your wallet is stolen or tampered with.
- Store your debit card in a secure place where you will immediately know if it is missing.
- Keep your Debit Card number concealed in a check-out line. If merchants are still using charge slips with separate carbons, take the copies and destroy them.
- Only use your card at merchants you know and trust. A large number of Debit Card disputes involve online businesses without adequate internal controls.
- Reduce the number of Debit Cards and ATM cards you carry.
- Do not give your Debit Card number out over the phone unless you initiated the call. No financial institution personnel will ever ask you for your Debit Card number. The financial institution already has it.
- Store your receipts in a safe place and compare them with your account statement each month.
- Never leave receipts behind where someone could pick them up- especially ATM, supermarket, and self-service gasoline pump receipts.
- Never leave your debit card as a "security deposit" or as identification. Instead, use your driver's license.
- Never lend your debit card to anyone.
- Open your monthly account statement (by mail or eStatement) immediately every month and skim the transactions for ones you didn't make. The faster you spot a problem, the sooner we can stop the loss, give you provisional credit, and investigate the problem.
- Do not give out your card number online unless the site is secure (look for a closed lock at the bottom of your browser).
- When you are expecting a new or replacement card, look for it in the mail.
- After you activate your new cards, make sure you completely cut up your old cards before throwing them away. Cut them through the magnetic strip and through the numbers in two directions.
- Notify us in advance of your change of address.
- Report loss, theft, or fraudulent activity immediately.
Report a Lost or Stolen Debit Card
If your debit card has been lost or stolen, it is important that you report the missing card immediately:
- During Business Hours: Contact any of our branch locations and speak to a Customer Service Representative: Grandview 817-866-3316, Cleburne 817-641-3100, Alvarado 817-790-1400.
- After Business Hours: Call the Debit Card Support Center at 1-866-546-8273. Calls are answered 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Provide the following information so that the Call Center representative can identify you and your card accurately.
- Your Bank information- Must provide ONE of the following-
- Full Name of Bank, City and State-Grandview Bank, Grandview, TX (Grandview is our main location so all of our debit cards are recorded under this location regardless of which branch your account was opened.) OR
- Grandview Bank's routing number - 111906996
2. Your information- Must provide ALL of the following information-
- Name on the debit card-exactly as it is printed
- Full address of the card owner
- Daytime phone number (as per bank records. Please update your contact information with the bank so this information is accurate on our system)
- Reason the card status needs to be changed - ex: Card was lost or stolen